Utica Volunteer Fire Department Inc. Station 460 proudly protects 4,000 people living in an area of 55 square miles. We operate out of 1 station that protects a primarily rural area. Our department is a private department whose members are on a volunteer status.The fire department was established in 1880 due to the fact that at that time Utica was known as the handmade window glass capital of the US. Fires were frequent and the first fire chief was town marshal Wilbur Peet, who was charged with recruiting volunteers when the presbyterian church bell tolled, signaling a fire. In 1938, by a proclaimation of village council, the fire department as we know it today was established and was located in what now is the office of the clerk of the village of Utica. The fire department not only fights fires and rescue runs, but sponsors a yearly street fair called the Utica Homecoming. We also handle displaying the American Flags along Main Street.
Department Type: All Volunteer
Vehicle Rescue (Extrication)
Search & Rescue
Other Technical/Specialized Rescue Support
Video courtesy of Sadie Woodruff UVFD Photographer